‘Equal quantities of flour, butter and egg will make a good cake.’ That’s my grandma’s dictum on making it. She won’t make any fancy looking cake or decorate them or even try new flavors! The only two verities she makes is vanilla sponge cake and Christmas fruitcake. For me no other cake tastes better than hers!
Even though her hands are so tired to bake any now, her energy and passion urges me! Thanks to grandma for inspiring me! Emulating her, now I feel it thrilling to cook and share with others!
This recipe is my first choice when I’m in a mood to bake a cake. The flavours of vanilla and orange will go hand-in-hand. It is an excellent snack for any time!
Presently I am suppressing my strong urge to bake one, lest I finish it munching to the last bit!Ingredients
- All purpose flour/ maida – 2 cups
- Unsalted butter (softened at room temperature) – 250 gm
- Sugar (powdered) – 2 cup
- Egg (at room temperature) – 5 nos
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Orange – 1 no
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Preheat oven at 200ºc.
- Take the zest of the orange and extract its juice and keep aside.
- Mix flour and baking powder and swift them through a sieve three times.
- In large mixing bowl with a mixer combine butter and sugar till soft and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one to the mixture and beat till fluffy.
- Add flour, essence, orange juice and zest and combine well with out lumps.
- Pour the mixture into a baking tray of desired shape.
- Bake at 180ºc for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 150ºc and bake for another 50 minutes.
- Insert a skewer at the middle and if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Replace the to a wire rack and allow to cool.It tastes better the next day