Buying meat on Sundays is our custom like any other Christian homes in Kerala. But occasionally my father would break this routine and buy a one large king fish or Carp.
On such Sundays a dish made of mashed cassava (kappa) with grated coconut, laced with green chilly and garlic would replace rice for lunch. Dipping mashed cassava in the hot red gravy of fish curry and flaking meat from fish bone and munching it…oh that’s really heaven!
Mashed cassava & fish curry … they are made for each other! A very satisfying meal indeed. May be u already familiar with this pair; If not try it…just for a change!
- Cassava (cut into small cubes) – 1kg
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Button onion/ shallots (crushed) – 3 nos
- Green chilly - 2 nos
- Garlic pods (crushed) – 3 nos
- Curry leaves – a few
- Salt – as required
- Mix cassava and salt and add enough water to immerse them.
- Cook till cassava is tender and drain excess water.
- Coarse grind coconuts with green chilly, garlic, shallots, curry leaves and ½ cup water.
- Mix it well with cooked cassava and mash it roughly.
- Heat the mixture on medium flame till vapors start to come.