Fish cooked in chilly sauce along with gamboges is a Kerala delicacy. It is an inevitable dish for lunch in most Kerala homes.
The pungent smell of gamboges that strike the nose, when opening the lid of the curry pot will appetite even a full loaded stomach!
- Fish pieces – ½ kg
- Gamboges (soaked in water) – 4 nos
- Button onions (sliced) - 3 pods
- Garlic cloves (crushed) - 5 pods
- Ginger (sliced) – 1” long piece
- Kashmiri red chilli powder - 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Water - 2 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Make a fine paste of all the spice powders by adding some water.
- Heat oil in a pot and add onion, garlic, ginger and curry leaves.
- Fry them till onion is brown in color.
- Add the spice paste, and fry until the raw smell goes.
- Add the soaked gamboges, 2 cups water and salt to taste.
- When it boils add the fish pieces and cover the pot with a lid.
- Cook in low flame till the curry is in medium thick consistency and fish is done.